Thursday, January 8, 2009

Boats for Fly Fishing the Caney Fork, Elk River and Other Rivers.

I’m not in the market for a new boat, but…if I were I would certainly take a long hard look at the newest model from Clackacraft. The new 16’ Low Profile Fly Pod looks like a great new boat from Clackacraft. Now, I don’t row a Clacka, but this boat has all the features I have been thinking about in a boat such as: a low profile, walk through design, an easier walk around rear knee brace, double front and rear rod storage.


Side Storage Locker


Over the past few years I have begun the migration from 2 piece rods to 4 piece rods, but not all my rods nor my clients rods are 4 piece design. Therefore, we don’t have those cool shorter rod tubes which are easier to store. So, the two side storage lockers appear to have plenty of storage for those longer rod tubes and the chairs for our shore lunches. The storage lockers have non-skid material on the tops and you can walk on them as well. This is a really useful and nice feature.


I am not completely sold on the Gulfstream Bottom as being better than Hyde’s smooth bottom, but I am not sure how much I could tell between the two without rowing both in the same day. So, I won’t even go there as it would just be speculation.


The Interior of the Clackacraft Fly Pod


The 16’-5” length is just a few inches shorter than our Hyde. It is interesting that Clacka decided to lengthen the distance between the two angler positions, which should give a little more casting room. The guide needs all the room they can get to pull that anchor rope from the floor. The anchor floor system is a little tough on the back, but you can put your legs into it if you have to pull it up from the depths.


Anyone who knows me knows that I like things that look cool. Clacka is offering 13 different colors which can make just about any color combo. I am sure there are several color combos that can make these boats look good while floating downstream.


Like I said I’m not in the market for a new boat….not yet anyway. But if I were, I would certainly take a long hard look at the Low Profile Fly Pod.

No comments:

Post a Comment