Monday, May 9, 2011

Casting for Recovery

Several weeks ago I received a call from Steve, who was asking for guides to help out with the Casting for Recovery event, which was hosted by the Music City Fly Girls and Petticoat Junction. I was honored to help and arranged my schedule to accommodate.
***
When I arrived there were ham and biscuits and other breakfast items. With our appetite curbed and rain gear on we headed to the river with the participants. I was guiding Susan for the day and she was enthusiastic about catching a fish on her birthday.


Susan's Birthday Fish
So, as if there wasn't enough pressure with the rain, Bedford Lake at a high level and rising and windy conditions, we added a birthday to the list. Before the day was over Susan's cast had improved and made my job much easier than I thought it would be. Yellow was the color of choice (is there another color) and in-spite of the murky water I went for the popper on topwater. Also, I was determined that if Susan really wanted to catch a fish, she would have to cast the fly, retrieve the fly and land the fish herself. I was only there to add advice about where to cast, help correct casting and stripping issues and lend a hand when needed. I wanted her to learn to fly fish and remember this day for a long time to come.
***
Grumpy and I had a conversation about what flies we would have our participants fish with. He said, as a joke, that I would probably have my angler fishing with a big streamer and 250 grain sinking line. We laughed it off, but I did have a heavy sinking line and an articulated streamer all set up and hanging in the truck, just in case there was time for Susan to cast for some big bass.
***
The lake was a mess and the weather was worse, but we kept at it and Susan progressed over the next hour or so. After I saw a flash and confirmed there were fish in the lake, I became cheerleader/guide. It wasn't long before Susan landed the first fish for the entire group and we put a check in the box beside "birthday fish". And the best part was that Susan did it all on her own. Susan it was great to fish with you and to everyone who volunteered to help I cannot wait to help again next year!

2 comments:

  1. Awesome!! If you ever need someone to donate some flies let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dustin and I might just take you up on that offer next time.

    ReplyDelete